Revista de la Asociación Geológica Argentina
versión impresa ISSN 0004-4822
RICCARDI, Alberto C.. The development of Invertebrate Paleontology in the La Plata Museum. Rev. Asoc. Geol. Argent. [online]. 2011, vol.68, n.3, pp. 380-391. ISSN 0004-4822.
The collection of fossil invertebrates in the La Plata Museum began in 1884, as a result of F. P. Moreno, C. Burmeister and R. Hauthal work. In 1895 was created the Paleontological Section headed by S. Roth. The first invertebrate paleontologist was Carl Burckhardt. In 1906 the museum became part of the National University of La Plata, and starting in 1924, after Roth's death, Angel Cabrera became Head and Professor of Paleontology. In 1934 Joaqun Frenguelli was incorporated to the museum and Paleontology was divided in two Departments, one of Vertebrate Paleontology and the other of Invertebrate Paleozoology and Paleobotany, with A. Cabrera and J. Frenguelli heading each of them. Between 1937 and 1942 Horacio J. Harrington was also working on invertebrate fossils. Starting in 1941, A. F. Leanza became head of the Invertebrate Paleontology Section and in 1947 and 1948 Head of Division. Between 1958 and 1966 the position of Professor of Invertebrate Paleontology and Paleobotany was successively occupied by P. N. Stipanicic and H. H. Camacho. In 1966 the area was divided and A. J. Amos became Head of the Invertebrate Paleozoology Division. In 1970 micropaleontological research became important with the temporary presence of R. C. Whatley. In the 1960's research on Mesozoic invertebrates and stratigraphy restarted. In 1976 a long term strategy was proposed with the goal to cover the most relevant subjects in Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenozoic invertebrate paleontology. As a result in the following 35 years 23,000 taxa and 200,000 specimens were added to the fossil invertebrate collection.
Palabras llave : Fossil Invertebrates; La Plata University; Chronicle.